Horses are majestic animals used for racing, transportation, companionship, and fun. If you’re the owner of a beautiful horse, then you’ll naturally want to offer the best facilities for your animal to take utmost care of its well-being.
You’ll know that horses spend most of their time on their feet, so they will naturally want to stand on resilient and even surfaces that don’t smell bad. Confining these magnificent animals to a stall means that they always come into contact with the floor, so the horse stall mats you choose must be designed keeping their convenience in mind.
Having horses is always a great dream. When you dream of having a horse, you often do not think of everything that you will need for that horse though. Things like hay, a place to sleep, a saddle, etc, all of these things are important to keep a horse comfortable and living well. One thing that should also be considered is a nice horse stall mat. These may not be the first thing on your list, but it is important to get them because they can actually help the horse live a little better in their stall.
What is a horse stall mat?
A horse stall mat is nothing more than a very thick, very durable, rubber mat that goes in the bottom of the stall. They are actually quite handy at making the horse’s life a little easier, thanks to the softer ground they give. It makes for a more comfortable environment for the horse to stand, eat, and sleep in every day.
- Horse stall mats are also really great at reducing some of the odors that are associated with livestock. No one loves the smell of manure or animal smell, but by using a stall mat, you can actually help reduce some of that. That is because when you lay down the bedding, hay, or straw, and the horse urinates or defecates on it, the mat will not absorb this. In turn, that means when you muck out the stall, you can take all of that nasty waste with the hay, and it leaves a clean surface and not a bunch of rotten hay behind.
Keeps The Stall Clean
- Speaking of cleaning, it can help reduce the amount of time you spend mucking stalls daily. That is because the mats help cushion the stall which means you use less of the bedding in the stall. In turn, that means you have to clean out a lot less. Not only does it reduce cleaning time, but you save more on materials as well. The horse stall mats start paying for themselves over time, thanks to all that you save.
Saves Time & Effort
- Getting yourself a horse stall mat will help you save a little time around your barn. You can spend less time cleaning and more time with the beautiful horses. Not to mention, it makes for a cleaner stall for them to live in, which makes for a happier and healthier horse. These mats make everyone involved very happy campers.
Why you should use horse stall mats?
If you think about the comfort of your horses, you absolutely need to put rubber matting for your horse. If you are hesitant in deciding whether you need to do that or not, here are some advantages of using horse stall mats that will make you sure that using them is not a bad idea at all.
- The first advantage is that it will make your horses feel comfortable because they are usually made from rubber that is delicate. The mats are very comfortable to lie on and will not make the horses uncomfortable or create an accident.
- They will also not result in stress to your horse. You do not need to doubt that it will fail to give them comfort.
- The next benefit of using horse stall mats is that because the mats that are made from rubber are actually good insulating materials. It provides warmth. This mat is very useful for the horse because it is able to keep the temperature. It is still related to the horse’s comfort. With normal temperatures, they will always feel comfortable inside their place.
Benefits of having horse stall mats?
While the concept of horse stall mats may seem unimportant to you, they have a huge role to play when it comes to maintaining the welfare of these majestic animals. Horse stall mats come with a host of benefits for several reasons:
- They protect your horse’s joints and ligaments from tearing.
- These mats keep your horse’s hooves free from trouble and injury
- They provide an even and dry surface for your horse to stand on for long periods
With so many benefits, you may even be able to enhance the lifespan of your beloved horses with this small investment. So, buying a rubber horse stall mat is not a bad investment.
Types & sizes of rubber mats for horse stalls
It is very important to know the type and size of a mat for your horse stall, there are a variety of mats available in the market with different types and many sizes including one piece horse stall mats, interlocking horse stall mats, 4×6 rubber mats, 10×10 rubber matting, 12×12 and 3/4″. it is also noticed that 4×6 horse stall mats are more popular and best-selling mats.
Having 4×6 horse stall mats means that your horses have a more comfortable place to sleep at night. With just bedding, sometimes it is not as nice, and even though they are animals, you want to treat them right. Older animals have a harder time in cold weather, thanks to their older joints, so having the rubber stall mats in their stall, means they have more insulation and a bit more padding to sleep on at night. The cushion is also great for horses that are gestating and even when they give birth, the foals will benefit from the extra cushion as well.
What to consider when buying horse stall mats?
The question of choosing the right horse stall mat for your needs is bound to arise, so you must consider the following points when it comes to selecting the one that’s right for your horse.
While buying horse stall mats, you must consider the floor on which you are going to use them. There are some stables with clay floors while others have asphalt or concrete floors. The material you choose should be able to fit on the floor perfectly. Be sure to ask the vendor about which stall mats work best for the type of floor you have.
Permanent Or Temporary
You must decide whether you want to fix the mat permanently or temporarily. If you want the mat to be installed permanently on the floor, then you must make proper arrangements for adequate drainage. This will ensure that urine and feces don’t linger for longer than necessary because these can be harmful to your horse’s health.
If you choose temporary horse stall mats, then the area below the mat must be cleaned regularly before placing it inside the stall to prevent any damage to it while the horse stands on it. Temporary horse stall mats with interlock systems are ideal choices because they help to fix the mat in place and reduce the chance of being slippery.
The mat you choose for your horse stall should ideally be at least an inch in thickness so that your horse can relax on it without feeling the hardness of the ground. The rubber below the mat should be of high quality and is should be thick enough to be both strong and comfortable to withstand your horse’s weight.
Rubber mats are the most popular choices for most horse stalls because they are easy to clean and maintain while providing your horse with a comfortable underfoot surface. Rubber mats can easily be washed to flush out any smells and residual dirt. Other materials include soft PVC or plastic mats, but they are not as common as their rubber counterparts.
Before setting forth on your horse stall mat buying spree, it doesn’t hurt to set a budget aside to ensure that you don’t end up going overboard. While you can set your budget based on your own size and quality requirements, having an idea in mind will help you choose the best options within your planned price range.
How to cut rubber horse stall mats?
When you buy rubber horse stall mats for the stalls in your barn, sometimes you cannot get them to be the exact size that you need. In order to fix this problem, you have to find a way to cut them yourself. It can be a difficult task if you do not have the right tools, or you do not know how to cut rubber horse stall mat, but the good news is that in the end, it is not really that hard of a thing to do, once you have everything you need and you know what you are doing.
Cutting horse stall mats is a technique and you need to do some effort and few tools. In order to cut a horse stall mat, you want to make sure that the size you have is already as close to the size of the stall you need it for. That means you will end up having to cut off less in the long run, and it will make your job a lot easier. When you have the rubber horse stall mat, you will want to get yourself a box cutter or a blade. This works best if you are only going to be cutting one mat at a time, any more than that and this will not work.
Installing rubber mats for horse stalls
Running a horse farm, or even having more than one horse, can get a little pricey. But you can also find ways to save money while still providing your horse with all the comfort it deserves. Buying rubber mats for horse stalls is a great way of doing just that.
You provide a soft place for your horse to lie down at night, and you end up saving more money on bedding and you save your time while cleaning out your stall. This is a win-win situation for everyone involved and in time, you will begin to wonder why you didn’t get mat stalls for your horse a lot sooner.
If you are looking for a more efficient way of cleaning up your horse stall, then you should think about installing a rubber mat for those horse stalls. This means that you get a very industrial-sized, thick, rubber mat that will lie down on the bottom of your stall floor.
It provides a bit of cushion for your large friend and it will also provide you with a more energy and cost-efficient way of cleaning up. What does this mean? It means that by laying bedding on top of the rubber mats, you will use less bedding for cushion, saving you money on stray or hay.
How to take care of your horse stall mats?
The next thing you need to know after installing them is how to maintain them so that they will always be good and clean. You all know well that for living things, cleanness is closely related to healthiness. You cannot ignore that if you want your horses always healthy.
That is why you need to know how to clean your horse stall mats. You can see whether the mats are too dirty and need to be cleaned or not by seeing the physical signs such as whether there is dust, urine, bedding, etc. You can smell or look at it just one glance.
To clean it, you need to use a lot of water. Luckily, the rubber horse stall mats are very easy to clean. If you do not install horse stall mats, the dirt and smell that have accumulated over time can be very difficult to clean. By using the mats, the smell and dirt can be cleaned and after it is clean, you can put it again. That way, you will not smell anything. The horses will feel more comfortable with clean mats.