How to Clean Lululemon Yoga Mats? [3 Effective Methods]
The practice of yoga has been gathering popularity in recent years. More and more people are coming to realize the benefits yoga has on their physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
It is always good to carry out your yoga practice on a yoga mat. It will prevent you from slipping during your asanas and give you a better hold.
They also provide a comfortable base that is neither too hard nor too soft. A good mat makes your yoga session all the more comfortable, relaxing, and therapeutic!
There are a plethora of mats available in the market. Lululemon is one such mat that belongs to the closed-cell category of mats.
So, what exactly is a closed-cell mat?
Closed-cell mats are water-resistant and will not allow the liquids to soak into the mat, unlike the open cell mats in which the moisture will seep into the mats.
What is a Lululemon Yoga Mat?
For performing yoga comfortably, you need certain tools. A yoga mat is one of the most common tools used by many people who perform yoga as a part of their daily routine.
Lululemon makes some of the best yoga mats out there. These mats are long-lasting, durable, and have a distinct thickness.
These mats are made up of a natural fiber (rubber) and a thick coat of polyurethane. It is the polyurethane coating that lends the anti-slip functionality by absorbing sweat and moisture.
And the best part is they are reversible. They come in various thicknesses, and so you have plenty of options to choose from.
Benefits of lululemon mats
- They are easy to carry around.
- They are very soft, and so they will give you a snug and comfortable protection for those sore muscles and joints, particularly your elbows, back, and shoulders.
- These mats keep bacteria and mold from building up as they are subjected to super fresh, antibacterial treatment.
- They provide a firm grip.
How to Clean Lululemon Yoga Mats?
Yes, a Lululemon Yoga Mat has antibacterial properties to prevent mold, mildew, and bacterial growth. But still, you should clean it properly. Why though?
For one, your skin comes in close contact with it during your yoga sessions. The sweat and body oils can get into the mat and make them perfect breeding grounds for bacteria and other germs. Ultimately, it may lead to skin infections.
If you put off cleaning for too long, it is that much more difficult and time-consuming to clean your mat later on. Even if you have not used your yoga mat in a while, it can gather dust.
If you are someone who practices yoga, you know that it involves breathing exercises. And deep breathing, when sitting or laying on a mat that is dirty and dusty, is asking for trouble! You may end up breathing in the microscopic products that lie on the mat. This may lead to respiratory problems.
We brought you 3 effective ways of cleaning Lululemon Yoga mats. Let us look into them:
1. Use a handmade cleaning spray with lemon juice and baking soda
The good news is that you can easily prepare your cleaning solution with the ingredients you have at hand. This is a cheap and easy to prepare a solution that will sanitize your yoga mat and leave it looking and feeling fresh.
The baking soda will remove stains and odors from your yoga mat, while the lemon will get rid of bacteria and leave your mat smelling delightfully refreshing.
- Baking soda (1 tsp.)
- Water (8 ounces)
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Take a bowl or a small basin. First, add a teaspoon of baking soda and then add a few drops of lemon juice.
- The baking soda will react with the lemon to give bubbles.
- Now add 8 ounces of water and mix properly.
- Use an old washcloth to dip into the bowl containing the mixture and wipe down your mat.
- Finally, rinse the washcloth with water and wipe down the mat again with just water.
- Dry it under shade or air dry it at home. Avoid leaving it out in the sun to dry as it will trigger the rubber smell.
Note: it is super important to add the ingredients in the order mentioned: baking soda, lemon juice, and once the mixture sizzles water.
You should do this right after your yoga sessions. This will remove bacteria and other germs and get rid of undesirable sweat odors.
2. How to Clean Lululemon Yoga Mat Using Essential Oils?
Essential oils smell lovely, but did you know they have antibacterial and antifungal properties? Tea tree and lavender oil are some of the best essential oils that make great cleaning solutions.
- A small spray bottle
- Tea tree or lavender oil
- 2 to 4 ounces of water (distilled or spring).
- Add a drop of lavender oil and two drops of tea tree oil in 2 to 4 ounces of filtered or spring water.
- You can also add a little Witch hazel, which has antibacterial properties, or white vinegar because, well, it can clean pretty much everything! You can mix and match essential oils like lemongrass, peppermint, and eucalyptus. The latter is a natural germicide. Rosemary and cinnamon are popular for their antibacterial and antiseptic properties. Think of fragrances you love and add them in.
- Pour this essential oil blend into a spray bottle and spray it over the entire mat.
- You can spread the yoga mat in a well-ventilated space and roll it after it dries completely.
This is a quick and easy way to get rid of germs and dirt from your Lululemon Yoga Mat. Plus, the lavender oil’s soothing and therapeutic scent will leave you feeling relaxed, stress-free, and invigorated.
3. Use Readymade Cleaning Solutions to Clean Lululemon Yoga Mat
You can use pre-made yoga mat cleaning sprays to clean your Lululemon Yoga mats. Get them online and be rid of dirt, stains, sweat, and germs in no time! You can get them on all major shopping sites too.
While making your solution is easy, there are those days when you simply don’t feel like it! Readymade solutions will serve you well during those times.
After applying cleaning solutions, and once the mat is cleaned, hang your mat out to dry. Hanging them indoors, over a shower curtain rod or side grills that are not exposed to much sunlight, is the BEST!
How often should you Clean your Lululemon Mats?
Ideally, you must clean your mat after each yoga session. After every session, your mat will be smeared and covered in sweat and dirt. Deep clean once per week.
Moreover, if you clean your mat before and after every session, you can save the trouble of deep cleaning it often.
There’s so much you can do with your Lululemon Yoga Mat. You can use it for stretching, doing core workouts, warm-up, and cool-down exercises, etc. With everything you can do on your mat and how much comfort and protection it provides you during your yoga sessions, you MUST keep it clean!
Cleaning your mats is good for your health. It eliminates bacteria, viruses, fungus, and other germs along with sweat, mold, and moisture. Take good care of it, and it will allow you to enjoy years of comfort and convenience, whether you are doing yoga, stretches, or exercises.
We hope this guide will come in handy to keep your beloved Lululemon Yoga mats sparkling clean, fresh, and smelling great!