Yoga is one of the healthiest exercises adopted across the world. The first thing your yoga instructor asks is whether you have a yoga mat or not. Many people now prefer to practice yoga than any other exercise. From a survey, we know that out of all practicing yoga 82% are women, and the rest 18% are men.
Yoga mats come in the standard size of 68 inches, which is suitable for an average height person anyone whose height is from 5 feet to 5feet 5 inches, he/she can easily fit in it. But these mats are not suitable for taller persons above 6 feet. You need extra long yoga mats for these people.
Ideal mat sizes for tall people are of length 84 inches, which is 16 inches more than the standard size. Now you can extend your body without fear.
Yoga mats are sold globally and they are designed naturally, and with eco-friendly material. So nature lovers can use them. Here are the 6 best extra long Yoga mats for you to select as per your choice.
Why do you need a Yoga Mat?
So why do we need a yoga mat? Why and how has it becomes a global practice? Let’s jump into it.
The first reason for using a Yoga mat is that it defines a space for your practice. You start the session by stepping onto the mat and end it by stepping out of the mat.
Yoga is a practice of mindfulness and awareness. So when you step onto a yoga mat it changes the quality of our practice and state of our mind.
Yoga is about practicing Asanas (postures), Pranayam (breathing exercise), and movements. These regulate and generate energy. It is a practice from the Vedic ages to use an insulated barrier to not let the energy dissipate the ground.
So the second reason is that the yoga mat acts as an insulated barrier that does not allow energy to get to the ground.
In older times, yogis use to practice yoga on animal skins, grass mats, straws, or bamboo mats. It helps move the energy from the ground in an upward direction.
Apart from these two main reasons, there are a few other benefits of a Yoga Mat.
- It acts as a cushioning agent and a shock absorber.
- It helps hands and feet from sliding while doing different postures.
- Yoga mats also protect weaker joints like knees, ankles, and elbows from getting injured.
Editor’s Pick: Best Extra Long Yoga Mat
In a Hurry? Check below options.
- Best Extra Long Yoga Mats Overall – Aurorae Extra Long Yoga Mat
- The Best Design Mat – Manduka Pro Lite Yoga Mat
- Best Extra Long Yoga Mats Value for Money – GAIAM Extra Wide Yoga Mat
Top 6 Extra Long Yoga Mats
- Pogamat XL Large and Thick Yoga Mat
- Manduka Pro Lite Yoga Mat
- Gaiam Extra Wide Yoga Mat
- Cambivo Extra Long Yoga Mat
- Aurorae Super Sized Extra Long Yoga Mat
- Yoga Direct Extra Long Yoga Mat
1. Pogamat XXL Large and Thick Yoga Mat
- Maker: Pogamat
- Dimensions: 78 Inches (L) x 48 Inches (W) x 0.25 inches (H) inches
- Weight: 8.5 Pounds
This Yoga mat is an excellent choice for all cardio exercises, plyometrics exercises, P90x plyometrics exercises, insanity workout, Weight training exercises, and MMA practice.
Pogamat is a heavy-duty mat. It has a premium two Sided Surface which is ideal for shoes and without shoe workout.
8mm thick Memory Foam is ideal for expert-level yoga practices. It secures your joints and body parts. It provides extra cushioning to ankles, knees elbows, and is ideal for elderly people. This mat is suitable for persons suffering from any injury.
Extra thickness reduces Impact from Hard Surfaces like concrete floors, hardwood floors.
This Extra-long yoga mat provides plenty of room to spread out during practices. It can accommodate two people so you can try couples yoga, and Acro Yoga poses.
Eco-friendly mat contains non-Toxic materials. Made from memory foam and contains no Latex, no Silicone, and is non-flammable. It is free from phthalates. It does not emit a bad Odor and is a Great mat for Kids.
This mat has rounded corners and comes with velcro straps for easy storage.
- High-Density Memory foam is extra thick and provides extra cushioning.
- Non-Slip Texture for added comfort and security
- Extra thick, Extra Long, and Extra Wide design
- This mat also comes in a variety of 48 Inches width.
- The anti-slip pad provides a strong grip and ideal for all kinds of surfaces
- Ideal for Home, Outdoor, Clubs, studio, outdoor area.
- It’s a heavy mat and you will not be comfortable while carrying it.
- It is not completely odor-free so a fresh mat can emit an odor for a few days.
If you are looking for a large mat for a high-intensity workout where you need a large space to dos those workouts then Pogamat XXL Extra Large Yoga Mat is ideal for you.
2. Manduka Pro Lite Yoga Mat
- Maker: Manduka
- Dimensions: 79 Inches (L) x 24 Inches (W) x 0.18 inches (H) inches
- Weight: 4.5 Pounds
- 6 color options and 2 size varieties
Manduka is a globally reputed yoga mat manufacturer. Prolite mat is ideal for all yoga practices. It is solid, firm, and cushioned to give a perfect surface to practice different yoga postures.
It has a strong grip and your hands and feet stay at one place where they should be. In other mats, you have to continuously adjust your hand and feet position.
It comfortably cushions your spine, hips, knees, ankles, and elbows on hard surfaces.
Manduka Prolite mats provide super grip to sweaty hands. Some sweat a lot while practicing, this is an ideal mat for them.
Its closed-cell structure doesn’t absorb any sweat or water at all. This helps in maintenance as cleaning this mat with soap and water is effective and it does not absorb any water and dries very fast.
Due to its closed-cell structure, it does not absorb sweat and keeps it clean and odor-free.
- Dense and Firm
- Helps prevent pain and discomfort.
- This mat is a lighter version of Manduka Yoga mats. It is travel friendly.
- This is a flexible yoga mat and it can be rolled and also folded to a quarter shape.
- Does not absorb sweat and water.
- It offers a good and strong grip.
- It comes with a lifetime guarantee.
- It may take a long time to break-in
- Can be slippery
- It is heavy and weighs around 4.5 pounds.
- It is expensive.
3. Gaiam Extra Wide Yoga Mat
- Maker: GAIAM
- Dimensions: 78 Inches (L) x 26 Inches (W) x 0.19 inches (H) inches
- Weight: 3.7 Pounds
GAIAM’s extra-large yoga mat gives you the extra space needed for stretching exercises and couples yoga practices. It is made from a lightweight PVC material.
It has a textured surface that provides a non-slip grip. Extra-long, extra thick, and extra-wide for high-intensity workouts that require more space.
This mat is firm and solid and provides cushioning with good stability for all kinds of postures.
- It’s Durable.
- This is a reversible mat and has two colors.
- Ideal for people taller than 5 feet 10 inches.
- A sticky mat gives a good grip and stability.
- Can be smelly at the beginning.
- The replacement cost is high.
- It’s a heavy mat, may not be suitable for carrying or traveling.
- Can be slippery.
- Not ideal for Hot Yoga.
4. Cambivo Extra Long Yoga Mat
- Maker: CAMBIVO
- Dimensions: 84 Inches (L) x 30 Inches (W) x 0.25 inches (H) inches
- Weight: 5 Pounds
CAMBIVO mat is extra wide, extra thick, and extra-large in size. This mat can accommodate two people and is ideal for a couple’s yoga and Acro Yoga.
6mm or0.25 inch thick mat provides ideal cushioning to your spine, hips, knee, ankle, and elbow. It reduces pressure on your joints by absorbing all shocks.
This is a waterproof mat and makes it easy to clean and maintain. It can be cleaned with soap water after use.
It’s durable and tear-resistant. It has a honeycomb padded structure at back for better grip. This prevents the mat from slipping.
- Ideal for taller people.
- Suitable for all kinds of light exercises and yoga postures.
- Large enough to fit in two people.
- Easy to clean.
- Extra thick for better protection and cushioning.
- Only for Barefoot Exercises, No Shoes.
- Not recommended for high-intensity workouts
- Heavy and not travel friendly.
- Can not practice under direct sunlight.
5. Aurorae Super Sized Extra Long Yoga Mat
- Maker: AURORAE
- Dimensions: 78 Inches (L) x 26 Inches (W) x 0.25 inches (H) inches
- Weight: 4 Pounds
- The mat comes with a Carry Strap and Non-Slip Rosin
This mat comes with an ideal thickness of 0.25 inches which provides cushioning to your joints, ankles, elbows, hips. At the same time, it gives support and stability for all kinds of yoga poses.
Most thicker mats do not provide stability but this mat is firm and solid. these mats are durable and easy to clean and care for. It comes with cleaning and cares instructions.
Aurorae is a reputed company and founded by yogis who believe in the true spirit of yoga as a healing practice.
It comes with 2 years guarantee and responsive customer care for support. These mats are eco-friendly and made from biodegradable material.
- This PVC mat is durable.
- It is an odorless mat.
- It comes in 4 color varieties.
- Easy to carry strap helps carry it.
- It comes with non-slip rosin that makes it stand on the ground.
- Fit for taller people. (<5’10”)
- Only barefoot exercises or practices.
- This mat is slippery.
- Heavy mat for traveling purposes.
6. Yoga Direct Extra Long Yoga Mat
- Maker: YOGA DIRECT
- Dimensions: 84 Inches (L) x 24 Inches (W) x 0.25 inches (H) inches
- Weight: 5 Pounds
- Purple Color Mat
This foam mat is durable. It has a sticky backing which provides a good and strong grip. This mat is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
It is a machine washable mat that can be stored and rolled easily. 1/4th inch thickness provides enough cushioning to joints, ankles, and knees. It is a firm mat that is ideal for maintaining stability during exercises and yoga postures.
- Ideal for tall persons above 5 feet 10 inches.
- Durable and easy to clean and store mat.
- Good for all hard surfaces like concrete and hardwood floors.
- Foam is of cheap quality.
- Can be slippery.
- Heavy mat to carry around.
- It can chip off easily.
How to find a suitable Yoga Mat?
While choosing a yoga mat you must take these factors into consideration
1. Downward- Dog Strech Test:
We recommend a downward-dog test to test a yoga mat whether it is ideal for you or not. While doing this posture when you tend to push your body upwards the mat starts to slide. So for any beginner, it is good to have a mat that has a strong grip.
2. Choosing the Right Thickness
Yoga mats come in different thicknesses starting from 1mm to 6mm. So how to decide which one fits you? Well, you can decide it based on the level of your practice. We will divide into three categories like
- Beginners: Those who are starting out can choose a mat between 3mm to 4mm.
- Experts, Athletes & Special Needs: You need a thicker mat if you are an athlete or an expert who practices all kinds of postures. If you have some injuries or bad knees, ankles then you need a thicker mat of 5mm to 6mm thickness.
3. Choose right type of yoga mat
Yoga mats are of different types like Foam mats, jute mats, rubber mats, Plastic mats, cotton or hemp mats, and so on.
1. Foam Mats
These mats are most commonly found and very cheap. They have decent cushioning and come in different thicknesses. Cheaper mats usually don’t last for more than 2-3 months. They can chip off easily. They are made from foam and are not environmentally friendly.
2. Natural Mats
Natural mats are preferable as they are environment-friendly, biodegradable, and also recyclable. Cork Mats but the downside of this mat is that it is a little hard and can slip and slide easily.
Some other natural mats are cotton mats, straw mats. The cons of a cotton mat are that they can easily slip and they are thin and don’t provide enough cushioning.
3. Jute Mats
Most jute mats come with rubber backing. They are extremely durable and lasts for years. These mats have a very good grip on the surface. But these mats can be very heavy to carry and the jute fiber keeps coming out of the mat.
4. Rubber Mats
They are the most preferred mats globally. The grip of rubber mats is amazing. Even when your hands are sweating or wet you will not fall down due to the strong grip of rubber mats. They come in different thicknesses from 1.5mm to 6mm. They are lightweight and easy to carry. These mats come in varieties like travel mats and regular practice mats.
But the downside of using a rubber mat is that it needs high maintenance. It can’t be cleaned easily like other mats. they need to be cleaned with plain water with little Vinegar and baking soda. Don’t use soap water on a rubber mat. You can’t use rubber mats in a sunny area because of the rubber material. It gets worn out due to heat.
The best thing to do before choosing the right yoga mat is to decide your requirements.
- If you need cushioning then decide on the thickness of the yoga mat.
- You need a mat that is travel friendly then you should go for a mat that is lightweight.
- If you are looking for an environment-friendly mat then chooses any mat with natural fibers.
- You are a tall person and need a larger mat then go for an extra-long yoga mat.
- If you sweat a lot during practice or you have sweaty hands then go for Yoga mats fit for sweaty hands. They don’t absorb sweat but provide a strong grip.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How long is an extra long yoga mat?
The standard size of yoga mates is 68 inches (172 cm), the mats which are longer in size are almost 78 inches long and the extra-long mat will be 84 inches (213.36 cm) long.
Regular Yoga Mats are 68 inches-72 inches is enough for persons with height up to 5 feet 10 inches (5′ 10″). But if your height is more than 5′ 10″ then you should go for long or extra long yoga mats.
These mats are made with durable latex foam their design has textured, so they remain non-slippery when the body gets sweat.
2. Do I Need An Extra Long Yoga Mat?
If your height is under 6 feet, then go for a standard size mat. Follow a thumb rule; always choose a mat six inches longer than your height. In this way, you will quickly fit on it and don’t get any discomfort while stretching and other poses. If your height is more than six feet, then choose a yoga mat in an extra-long size.
3. What to consider while shopping?
Always choose wisely while shopping yoga mat keep in mind the dimensions according to your height and other requirements like Environment-friendly, Reasonable price, Textures on it, Secure grip, easy to clean, and portable as well.